If you are receiving the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) or Persons with Persistent and Multiple Barriers (PPMB) benefit and need help filing your income tax returns from past years, Tax AID advocates can provide the following assistance:
- Help you gather the documents necessary to file your taxes
- Meet with you one-on-one to help you file your basic
income tax return
- Provide information and advice (in-person, or by phone and/or email) about filing income tax returns
Tax AID DABC’s Role
First, our program uses a case management approach. Like other case management programs, Tax AID DABC services include:
• Assessing a client’s income tax situation, including their financial and personal challenges
• Coordinating resolution of a client’s outstanding tax issues by contacting CRA or writing required letters
• Advocating for comprehensive options and services to meet clients’ tax needs
With case management, we can serve our clients comprehensively. From assessment to action plan, we can support people who haven’t filed multiple years of taxes.
Second, this approach allows us to provide add-on services such as help with the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) and the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)–options every person with a disability should be aware of.
Third, our services are year-round, so clients don’t need to wait until tax season to use Tax AID DABC.
Fourth, our services are available across BC, including Vancouver (Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley), Victoria (Vancouver Island), Kelowna (Interior) and Prince George (Northern).
Please learn more about our services in the Transition magazine.