Tax AID Team is supporting BC’s Speculation and Vacancy Tax declaration process!
Disability Alliance BC’s Tax AID Team, along with our partner organizations (TAPS in Victoria and Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society in Kelowna), is helping clients who have questions about how to make their declaration for the Speculation and Vacancy Tax (SVT).
The service includes assisting with the declaration process by entering data for clients and helping clients call into the call centre, send an email, or read the existing website material.
SVT declaration is a new program in BC and part of the NDP government’s 30-point plan in the 2018 budget, meant to ease the housing affordability crisis in the province.
About the SVT:
- All residential property owners in a designated taxable region have to complete an annual declaration to claim any relevant exemptions from the Speculation and Vacancy Tax (SVT).
- If you own residential property in a designated taxable region, the Province will send you a speculation and vacancy tax declaration letter telling you how to complete your declaration. The letter will list all the residential properties you own. You should have this letter by the end of February 2019.
- People can declare online, over the phone or by mail.
- Contact and other information is available here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/property-taxes/speculation-and-vacancy-tax
- Jan 2019-Feb 2019 – speculation and vacancy tax letters mailed
- Jan 21, 2019 – declaration period opens
- Mar 31, 2019 – declaration due
- Apr 2019 – most tax notices mailed
- Jul 2, 2019 – tax payment due