Application Deadline: February 5, 2021
Since 1977, Disability Alliance BC (DABC) has been a provincial, cross-disability voice in British Columbia. Our mission is to support people, with all disabilities, to live with dignity, independence and as equal and full participants in the community. DABC is looking for passionate and dedicated volunteers to support our Tax AID program during the peak tax season for people who are receiving disability benefits.
Position: Volunteer Tax Preparer
Schedule & Commitment
- February 22-April 30, 2021 (10 weeks: M-F)
- Minimum Commitment: Two shifts/week (morning shift 9:30 am-12:30 pm or afternoon shift 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm)
- Location: Remote
- Must have 1-2 years of experience with client tax filling (we are not accepting volunteers with no experience)
- Good computer and technology skills; experience working with UFile is an asset.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A strong desire to help and serve our community of people with disabilities.
- Pass Criminal Record Check
- Be able to obtain an EFILE number (personal tax filings are current; no outstanding tax debt; not in bankruptcy)
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Understand the challenges experienced by low-income individuals with disabilities.
- Be friendly, reliable, responsible, non-judgmental and non-discriminatory
- Be flexible and willing to learn.
- Must have basic computer skills: shared folder, Outlook, Excel.
- Complete income tax returns in accordance with Revenue Canada guidelines
- Report questions or concerns to the Income Tax Clinic supervisor
Benefits of Volunteering
- Help individuals get or maintain uninterrupted access to benefits and credits;
- Give back to the community;
- Increase personal tax knowledge;
- Gain new skills and improve existing ones;
- Receive training, support, and reference materials including free tax software.
Training and Orientation
- Orientation to Tax AID DABC programs, policies, and procedures.
- Canada Revenue Agency online webinars.
- Virtual supervision by Income Tax Clinic supervisor.
Volunteer Screening Process
- Volunteer Application (or resume)
- Police Records Check
- Register with CVITP
- Obtain an EFILE number through CRA
Application Deadline: February 5th, 2021 (by 12:00 pm)
If you are interested in applying, please submit a resume to Myung Lee, Program Manager for Tax AID, email@example.com (Please indicate “Volunteer Tax Preparer” in the email subject line). No phone calls or faxes, please.